Dessert Recipe of the Month – Strawberry and Passion Fruit Bavarian Mousse Cake
April 3, 2012
Pala Casino Spa & Resort’s award winning Executive Pastry Chef Albert Cruz shares his specialty recipe for Strawberry and Passion Fruit Bavarian Mousse Cake. This fresh springtime dessert is served as a special request at many Pala Events.
For the Yellow Cake:
12 oz –Unsalted Butter
13 oz –Granulated Sugar
4 each – Whole Eggs
15 oz – Cake Flour
4 tsp – Baking Powder
15 oz – Milk
2 tsp – Vanilla Extract
- Place the butter and sugar in the mixing bowl and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time until it is smooth and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
- Add 1/4 of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the liquid and mix just until blended.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used and scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Divided mixtures into a baking pans and bake 300*F for 40 to 50 minutes.
For Strawberry Mousse:
1 cup – Strawberry Puree
10 each –Gelatin Sheet or 1 ½ tbsp –Gelatin Powder
2 cups –Whipped Cream
1/2 cup- Sugar
- Whip the cream with sugar into soft peak.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water and set aside to soften.
- Place the softened gelatin mixture over heat until dissolved.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the puree. Gradually fold the mixtures into the whipped cream until smooth and set aside.
For Passion Fruit Mousse:
1 cup –Passion Fruit Puree
10 each Gelatin Sheet or 1 ½ tbsp – Gelatin Powder
2 cups – Whipped Cream
1/2 cup -sugar
(Use same mousse procedure)
To assemble the Mousse Cake:
- Cut one of the Yellow cakes into 3 layers and place one layer into the bottom of 10 –inch ring mold.
- Spread the Strawberry Mousse halfway evenly on top and refrigerate until the mousse set (15 minutes).
- Spread the Passion Fruit Mousse on top of the Strawberry Mousse and refrigerate until set.
- Garnish with fresh fruit.